Friday, September 11, 2009

A post you have probably seen a lot today...

But still, I am posting also. Where were you 8 years ago today and what were you doing? I had the day off from child care, but we received a call from James' dad telling us to turn the news on. We got up and turned the TV on, saw the building, and then a short time later, the second plane. He went to work, and I continued to watch for hours. I remember ironing and starching his uniforms after he called and asked me to because there was a chance that he would be sent to NY for help with search and rescue. I remember my dad calling me and telling me to go get gas because the price was going to go way up.

In memory of all those lives affected by the attacks on 9/11/01, may we never forget!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I was driving to work at a junior high as the first plane hit. I remember exactly where in Lubbock I was -- crossing train tracks on 19th, just past the light at Quaker -- when the radio announced that it looked like a tourist plane had run into one of the twin towers. They were laughing and joking about it being a prank or about a drunk pilot somehow being able to NOT see the tower in front of them. Something didn't seem right. My mom called me in a panic because she was hearing that it was a terrorist attack. I didn't think that could be right. I remember that as I finally walked into the classroom at work, that the tv was on. I looked up just in time to see the second plane hit. Girls started screaming and crying. The guys tried to act tough, but were obviously scared. We spent the rest of that period watching the news. After that, we turned the news way down and held discussions about what was happening in every class. We talked about the Middle Eastern wars. We talked about extremists and terrorism. We talked about family that they had in NYC and DC. Then I went back to LCU to find that my classes had been canceled. There was a continuous prayer vigil being held in the Moody. I spent most of the day on the phone with my parents, watching the news.